The cake was originally to serve twenty people but the number grew to 30. To be able to bake the cake with number of layers I needed without having any waste, I needed to custom make a couple of the cake pans. Below you can see how I used my larger 11"x17" cake pan and adjusted it with aluminum foil and a Silpat sheet rolled up on one of the sides. It worked out fantastically.
The dolphins were made many days in advance out of sugar paste and propped on cake waves. I wasn't able to find a small enough gumpaste mold for the lettering so I made each letter by hand and sized it up with the help my printer.
You can view more photos of this cake on my Flickr
Photo courtesy of the client